So my husband and I went to Jo-Ann’s today because I needed to get some star patches for a costume I am working on. I thought I would pick up the 12 McCall’s patterns that were on my must have list since they were on sale. I got 4 out of the drawers and then he shut the drawer and said I could get more next month because I didn’t need to collect patterns. Anyone want a stash inhibitor named Eric?

Albion frontA few days ago I posted this on the Stashbusting Sewalong group on Facebook.  After posting it I realized I should probably get around to posting about the Albion coat I made for him back in February.  This was a big project that I am so pleased with.  It did also bust 13.5 yards of stash fabric that I bought last year.  Without further ado, here is the review I posted on PR.

Pattern Description:
Version 1 is a mid-thigh length coat with patch pockets, in-seam pockets, a detachable hood tab, and flannel lining. Version 2 is a hip-length unlined jacket with a combination of felled and bound seams, in-seam pockets, and interior pockets. I made version 1.
Pattern Sizing:
XS-2XL. I made a Large.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Almost identical, right down to my fabric choices.
Were the instructions easy to follow?Albion back
The directions were superb! This is my first Collette Patterns make and I could not be more pleased with the written instructions and illustrations. To make it even better the sewalong is still available and compliments the instruction book well!
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the ease with which this pattern fits together. It is well drafted and well graded. My only dislike is the hood tab on version 1. I think it looks, for lack of a better term, “Becky-homecky”.
Fabric Used:
I used 3 yards of beige Melton wool from Mood Fabrics ($75), 4.5 yards of plaid shirting from Jo-Ann’s ($23), and 6 yards of beige flannel from Jo-Ann’s ($10.74). I also used 4 toggles from Jo-Ann’s ($28). Total cost of this coat $136.74. By far one of my most expensive projects.

Albion detail

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I first made a muslin for this from the flannel, which I took apart to use as the underlining. The muslin fit perfectly!! This is rare that the sleeve length and hem length work for him as he is so tall, but this did. The only change I made was to add more depth to the hood. My husband said the problem with most men’s coats and jackets is that the hoods are not deep enough. This was confirmed by a male coworker too. To add room I added 1″ to the hood opening in addition to adding .5″ to each side of the center hood panel at the front and tapered it back down to the standard. And of course, since I didn’t like the hood tab, I took it out. I took off the tabs on the sleeves too.Albion closed

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Absolutely!! The sewalong even has steps for adjusting the pattern to fit a woman’s body. I for sure want to make a version for myself now. My husband also wants another version. For that one he did request adding an inside chest pocket, which I think it is a great idea.
I cannot say enough great things about this pattern. My husband has received so many compliments. One of his bosses even asked where he got it and was surprised to learn I made it. His boss thought it was London Fog. Woohoo! Let’s just hope his boss doesn’t ask for one now.


1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On FacebookVisit Us On YoutubeVisit Us On PinterestCheck Our Feed