Last week I took the whole week off from work because I had bronchitis. Boo!! It was no fun at all. I hated not being at work. I contemplated only taking a day off until the doctor called to check on me and said if I didn’t take all the time he recommended it could very possibly turn into pneumonia. Boo! So, a week it was. Now, I am not the type of person who can just lay around for a week doing nothing. Even when I am sick. Instead I picked some super easy sewing projects I could tackle and surprisingly I got quite a lot done.
To start, on Tuesday, I thought I would try out Simplicity 1317, view E. I had not made this pattern before but I was dying to try it. I love the length of the sleeve. I used 3/4 yard of gray metallic chevron, I picked up from Jo-Ann’s a couple of months ago, for the front and back and 1 1/2 yards of gray ponte also from Jo-Ann’s over Black Friday. I underlined the front and back with the gray ponte to give it more weight. It was the right call to underline it as I am beyond in love with this top. The pattern is super easy and quick to sew. It has 5 pattern pieces!! That’s it!
Then on Wednesday I made Eric a new fleece blanket that I had been promising for a couple of months. I picked up the fleece for it during the Black Friday sale at Jo-Ann’s. I used 4 yards of solid royal blue fleece as an underlining for 4 yards of plaid Indianapolis Colts fleece. He really liked the weight of the no sew blanket and requested it be two layers. I don’t have any pictures of it, which is pretty common when it comes to things I make for Eric. But this blanket was meant to replace one of those no sew fleece blankets that he had received as a gift several years ago. This one, however, is a snuggie at his request! I used a long since discontinued McCall’s pattern.
Then on Thursday I decided that since I still had 2 1/4 yards of the gray metallic chevron left I would make the vintage McCall’s 8991 top I had made in October. This was originally what I had intended to make with this fabric when I bought it, so I was pleased that I could get both this top and the Simplicity top out of it. I used only 1 3/4 yards. I love this pattern as it is only 2 pattern pieces, with 4 seams. Normally so super quick! It took me an hour to cut and sew it as I was feeling pretty awful by Thursday and I was also watching Bomb Girls on Netflix. On a side note, if you have not seen Bomb Girls, go watch it now and then watch The Bletchley Circle after that!
Since I still had more episodes of Bomb Girls to watch I decided I would make view of Simplicity 1317 since the version I made on Tuesday worked out so well. This time, for the front, I used 3/4 of a yard of leftover pink and gray stripe from when I made the other version of McCall’s 8991.
For the back I used 1 3/4 yards of the same gray ponte from my first version. This version has long sleeves as well as a band around the hem. I love this version just as much as the first. I plan on making a couple of other versions of this pattern with some of the new fabrics I got from Girl Charlee.
After I had gotten both tops cut out I realized I had exactly a 1/2 yard of each the gray chevron and pink and gray stripes left. In the best interest of not putting them back into the stash I decided to make infinity scarves from them. I think they both work well for scarves. I think that I am going to put these in my Etsy shop though. Two tops from each of these fabrics is enough of these prints for me, so I might as well put them in the shop to raise more money for our adoption. I will have to get some other photos of each one before I can do that though.
All in all, I used 15 1/2 yards of new fabrics in 3 days and ended up with 3 new shirts, 2 scarves and a blanket! Pretty darn well for being sick if I do say so myself!