First pajamas! I made three pairs today. These two use B5153, my TNT pajama pattern. The key pattern is a pair of shorts for myself using 1 1/4 yards of stash flannel that I got at Jo-Ann’s last November. The Bears print is a pair of pants that I have had cut out since November. I figured if I was making pajamas today I might as well finish a UFO while I was at it. Yay for getting things out of my overly crowded sewing room.
Now, I did say that I made three pairs today, but I only have a picture of two. Why?!? Well the third pair was for Eric and he hijacked them as soon as I was done with them. He won’t let me take a picture of him in them either. Booooo!! At any rate, for the third pair I used pattern B6837 and 2 yards of orange, white, and black plaid from the stash.
I feel like these are very boring sewing makes since they are so easy and there is nothing else to say about them than my fabric usage. Even with that it is much needed, cake sewing that I am glad to do since it uses up my stash.
This is something a little more fun! I made this way way back at the beginning of April. I used Butterick 6837 for the top and bottom. This is one of Gertie’s patterns for Butterick. I love it! I really wanted to try cigarette pants, pastels, and vintage styles this spring/summer and this satisfied all three of those. It was very easy to construct. The only change I made was to add four buttons to the top instead of the two it called for. Before I get into the details of this outfit I want to share why I am not wearing it.
When I decided to make this I realized that this pattern went up to a size 20, and I normally wear a 22. Now, I could have just sized the patterns up a bit to make it work for me , but I decided to make it at a size 18. Crazy, right!?! Clearly it isn’t going to fit…yet. I am working to lose 40 lbs total by fall. So far I have lost 10 lbs and in another 10 lbs this outfit should fit! I figure if I was down 20 lbs I would feel more comfortable wearing this because of where the top hits. Ten more pounds! Ten more pounds! This is definitely motivation to keep going. I want to wear this outfit!
For the top I used 1 1/2 yards of a lilac purple linen from the stash. I got this fabric in a mystery bundle from Fabric Mart at some point in the last two years but I don’t know exactly when. I was originally going to give this fabric away because I thought I would never use it. I am glad I didn’t. My favorite detail about this top that I didn’t catch from the pattern envelope is the back of the collar. I love that it dips up and over laps. It is unique! The only downside to this top is that because I used linen it is pretty much permanently wrinkled. Win some, lose some.
For the cigarette pants I used 2 1/4 yards of floral print stretch twill from the stash. This also came from a Fabric Mart mystery bundle. I really really like the mystery bundles! I remember that when I first pulled this fabric out of the bundle I new I wanted to make some sort of skinny jeans with it and then this pattern came along. I knew immediately that this was the right fabric for these pants. I love the pocket detail on these. It was one of the easiest pockets I have ever put in, but to be fair I haven’t really made a lot of pants.
I have never worn anything of this style or even floral printed pants so I have no idea if when I lose the weight this will work for me, but I so want it too. This outfit is just fun. One of the things I want to sew more of is pants and fun pants at that. In the fall I pretty much only wear dark denim jeans and I want to change that this year by wearing more business like attire to work. I have a few other fabric in my stash that I know I want to use for pants and I just bought the Sewaholic Thurlow Trouser pattern.
I am almost caught up with my blogging. I still have a couple of other projects I need to blog about, including my March of the Shieldmaiden dress. Pretty sure I won’t blog about that one until I wear it to the ren faire in September though. For the rest of tonight and tomorrow I will be making a fitting garment or two so that I can recover Broke Down Betty and make her fabulous! That will be a whole post on it’s own to add to my blogging list.
When Gertie’s pattern first came out, I was ‘meh’ about it. However, after seeing your make up, I have to give it a second look. Wow! Your version is very classy and I love the printed pants. Nice!