I am back this week with another new make! This was the second piece I made for my wardrobe contest collection. McCall’s 7093 in view D is a semi fitted pullover tunic. Based on the finished measurement chart I made a size 22, which is the same I would fit into on their size chart. I would say this fits pretty close to true size. There is enough ease for movement but not so much that I feel like I am swimming in this top. It has contrasting side panels. I sewed up the pattern exactly as is. The only thing I changed after it was made was the length. I wanted it to be more of a top and once I put it on it was tunic length. I ended up taking off a total of 5″ from the bottom. I am much happier with the new hem length.
A surprise for me with this pattern is that it has darts at the top of the shoulders. I had to go back and look at the line are and illustrations on the pattern envelope several times to see if I could tell the darts were there. In the end I really could not tell they were a thing. I cannot say that I like those darts too much. From the back they square off my shoulders and it looks okay. From the front, however, it just makes it look ill fitting and tight in the shoulder. Like I could have gone up another size in the sleeve. It ends up having a bit of a bump at the end of the dart that makes it bubble up a bit. I probably could made the dart a little longer to taper it off a bit more and lessen the bump. Oh well, next time.
Definitely not the most flattering of angles I could have taken this picture at. I promise I do not look like I have a uni-boob when wearing this top. Swear!
This top was made with all stash fabrics from last year! For the main front and back I used 1 yard of cream and black abstract crepe from Jo-Ann’s ($5.99) and for the contrast I used .75 yards of black Georgette I got from work ($.84). Yeah $.84 is correct! Total fabrics cost of this top is $6.83. I think I spent about an hour sewing it too. All in all, I believe it was time and money well spent for a new top.
I definitely want to make this top again. My original goal with this top was to add more variety to my business casual wardrobe and I think I succeeded in that. This top will work great with slacks and a cardigan, but it would also be killer with a leather moto jacket or my WIP sequin Morris Blazer.
I would love to make this top again in the future. I don’t know when I will get back around to it though. I like the unique look of it, but I have no immediate ideas of which stash fabrics I would use for another version. This pattern is definitely worth picking up and trying out.
You can check out my PR review of this pattern here.
Looks great! I love the fabric combo. The black inserts break up the pattern perfectly. Awesome tatt, by the way!
Thanks and thanks! I like it a lot too and I think that is why I am having a hard time coming up with another combo.
There was a shoulder dart like this in the faux leather jacket, Burda 7140, I made. The sewing line had a curve to it to shape around the shoulder. I wonder if a curve is what this one needs.
Oh maybe! This one has the dart cut out of the pattern piece, which I think may have been part of the problem. It made it so I had to finish the edge of the dart. Maybe next time I will try it without cutting the dart out.
[…] ← Review of McCall’s 7093 Posted on April 10, 2016 | Leave a comment […]