I have made it through 31 whole days of this project! One month down and eleven more to go! Bring it on! For this most wonderful last day of Jungle January, I am rocking my new leopard floral cardigan! Let me tell you I love love love this cardi and as evidenced by the several compliments I got at work so do others. Animal print is definitely something that is out of my comfort zone because it feels so loud. But this month’s challenge has really helped me to step outside of that.
MISSES’ CARDIGANS AND TOP: Cardigans have three-quarter or full length sleeves and stitched hems; cardigan A has purchased lace trim; cardigan B has jewel stones; cardigan C has pearls; cardigan D has self-fabric appliques; sleeveless top E has narrow hem finishing at neck, armhole and lower edges.
XS-XL: I made a Large
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
For the most part. I made so many changes that the details are different but the the shape is the same.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Absolutely. I briefly skimmed through them once and that was it. The construction is very simple, even for a beginning seamstress.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love most everything about this. I think the best part though is that it is such a basic cardigan that the design possibilities are endless. The only thing I disliked was the facing.
I am not 100% sure what I used but it was 1.5yards of a synthetic sweater weight knit of some variety and 1/2 yard of ribbed black knit.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Oh where to begin! Because I didn’t really want to add the facing and other reviewers didn’t like it either I decided to bind my center front and neck edge with black ribbed fabric. Then I decided that just that binding was not enough of the black. So I added a 5.5″ banding, folded in half, to each 3/4 length sleeve and the hem. It definitely helped to “contain” the print. I also eliminated the buttons. Originally I was going to add two 7/8″ buttons instead of the 5-5/8″ called for buttons. But after playing around with my buttonholer and some scrap I decided not to add them because the buttonholes put too much stress on the fabric causing it to ripple. Plus, the buttons were a bit to heavy for the fabric to support them. It’s unfortunate because I had found the most perfect buttons to go with this too.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
In a heartbeat! This went together very quickly and without any problems. Unfortunately, it is now OOP, but if you are lucky enough to own it make it! If you do not have it I recommend the new McCall’s 6708
It is close enough that you could make it work.
I love this pattern and I cannot believe it took me almost two years to make it. I always looked at it but was intimidated by it. Now I plan on making several more. While the reviews on here have been pretty great for it I can see why it is OOP. None of the reviews on here show it made how any of the 4 versions on the envelope are. I think the new McCall’s 6708 will be a better seller and I plan on picking it up to try next time they are on sale.