Unintentional Sewcation

Last week I took the whole week off from work because I had bronchitis.  Boo!! It was no fun at all.  I hated not being at work.  I contemplated only taking a day off until the doctor called to check on me and said if I didn’t take all the time he recommended it could very possibly turn into pneumonia. Boo!  So, a week it was.  Now, I am not the type of person who can just lay around for a week doing nothing. Even when I am sick.   Instead I picked some super easy sewing projects I could tackle and surprisingly I got quite a lot done.

Simplicity 1317

To start, on Tuesday, I thought I would try out Simplicity 1317, view E. I had not made this pattern before but I was dying to try it. I love the length of the sleeve. I used 3/4 yard of gray metallic chevron, I picked up from Jo-Ann’s a couple of months ago, for the front and back and 1 1/2 yards of gray ponte also from Jo-Ann’s over Black Friday.  I underlined the front and back with the gray ponte to give it more weight.  It was the right call to underline it as I am beyond in love with this top.  The pattern is super easy and quick to sew.  It has 5 pattern pieces!! That’s it!

Then on Wednesday I made Eric a new fleece blanket that I had been promising for a couple of months.  I picked up the fleece for it during the Black Friday sale at Jo-Ann’s.  I used 4 yards of solid royal blue fleece as an underlining for 4 yards of plaid Indianapolis Colts fleece.  He really liked the weight of the no sew blanket and requested it be two layers.  I don’t have any pictures of it, which is pretty common when it comes to things I make for Eric.  But this blanket was meant to replace one of those no sew fleece blankets that he had received as a gift several years ago.  This one, however, is a snuggie at his request!  I used a long since discontinued McCall’s pattern.

Musings of a Seamstress

Then on Thursday I decided that since I still had 2 1/4 yards of the gray metallic chevron left I would make the vintage McCall’s 8991 top I had made in October.  This was originally what I had intended to make with this fabric when I  bought it, so I was pleased that I could get both this top and the Simplicity top out of it.  I used only 1 3/4 yards.  I love this pattern as it is only 2 pattern pieces, with 4 seams.  Normally so super quick!  It took me an hour to cut and sew it as I was feeling pretty awful by Thursday and I was also watching Bomb Girls on Netflix.  On a side note, if you have not seen Bomb Girls, go watch it now and then watch The Bletchley Circle after that!

Simplicity 1317

Since I still had more episodes of Bomb Girls to watch I decided I would make view of Simplicity 1317 since the version I made on Tuesday worked out so well.  This time, for the front, I used 3/4 of a yard of leftover pink and gray stripe from when I made the other version of McCall’s 8991.

Musings of a Seamstress

For the back I used 1 3/4 yards of the same gray ponte from my first version.  This version has long sleeves as well as a band around the hem.  I love this version just as much as the first.  I plan on making a couple of other versions of this pattern with some of the new fabrics I got from Girl Charlee.

Musings of a Seamstress

After I had gotten both tops cut out I realized I had exactly a 1/2 yard of each the gray chevron and pink and gray stripes left.  In the best interest of not putting them back into the stash I decided to make infinity scarves from them.  I think they both work well for scarves.  I think that I am going to put these in my Etsy shop though.  Two tops from each of these fabrics is enough of these prints for me, so I might as well put them in the shop to raise more money for our adoption.  I will have to get some other photos of each one before I can do that though.

All in all, I used 15 1/2 yards of new fabrics in 3 days and ended up with 3 new shirts, 2 scarves and a blanket!  Pretty darn well for being sick if I do say so myself!

 

6 responses to “Unintentional Sewcation

  1. Cute tops! I have that Simplicity pattern and have plans for several tops from it. I’m in the midst of making a coat right now, so I’m thinking that that Simplicity might be a great instant gratification project when the coat making adventure is over.

    • That is exactly what I did! I finished my coat and made these tops before diving into another coat project! They are the perfect little break from the bigger projects.

  2. Pingback: McCall’s Early Spring Release | Musings of a Seamstress

  3. I’d say that’s extremely well for being sick! (I’m jealous–I wish I could be that productive right now!) The tops look great, love the shiny chevron fabric!

    • Haha! Thanks! That is probably the most productive I have ever been. It was 5 days of not leaving the house. I was a little stir crazy by the end of it.

  4. Pingback: Me Made May Days 18-24 | Musings of a Seamstress

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *